This is a cartoon I drew as a request from a Facebook friend. He plans to put it on a t-shirt:
The Legendary light saber battle between Davinci and Darwin.
I am one! Ha ha!
Aficionado: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.
In other words, a nerd. This is the nerd word for nerds.
Last night at 2am I had a sudden epiphany; ‘aficionado’ sounds like ‘a fishy on auto’! I was immediately inspired and drew this sketch:
And thus became a masterpiece of genius inspiration from the cursed tablet.
I also want to share variations of this picture that I created by deleting layers (I did this in Photoshop) etc. because I find that each of them is visually appealing in their own way.
That’s what this post is about. More specifically, the difference between a dork, nerd and geek.
Have you ever wondered what the difference between them is? I know I have. I have had a few long discussions with a friend over it a while back. Here are the conclusions:
Nerd: Wikipedia states the following:
“Nerd is a term that refers to an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit.Nerds are generally considered to be awkward, shy and/or unattractive by most, although this is not always true. Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by others, or will tend to associate with a small group of like-minded people, although again, this is not always the case.”
Personally I would refine this further, as a nerd is someone who is very interested in academic things such as school, Wikipedia and books. Overall, this person would love learning and information.
Geek: Although usually refered to as a computer expert or enthusiast, this is only partially what I believe the true definition is. Like nerds, they have extreme interests, but it is not like the interests of the nerd. Geeks are overly passionate about a hobby, especially hobbies such as collecting cards, reading comics, or playing video games (hence the computer association). I suggest if you are a geek to try this: www.geekcode.com/ It’s a funny quiz thing for programmers. Urban dictionary states the following:
I have google “Rolly Backpacks” to discover that even when you google “Rolly Backpacks are awesome” all you get are hate messages! It seems as though the world hates them! Well you know what? I like them. They save your back from being sore, you can lean on the handle, you can have “kick the backpack” wars with friends….
Look at this video….
and read this facebook group’s letter….
There is an element of BYU life that fills my soul with rage. Every time it presents itself before my eyes, find that I loathe it with an unquenchable fiery passion. This bane of my existence, this blight on my otherwise happy horizons, is the rolly backpack. There is something about that incessant click-click-click of the wheels over pavement, leisurely blocking my way to class, which makes me want to throw the offending object into a bottomless pit full of hungry, plastic-eating dinosaurs. From 1999 to 2000, the University of Michigan performed a study on backpack injuries in the United States, and do you know what they found? More than twice the number of children injured by carrying ordinary backpacks was actually hurt by tripping over a rolling backpack!
Folks, you’re not doing anyone any favors with your wheel-covered boxes of doom. So you’ve got a bad back, that’s rough, but there are alternatives to the rolly backpack. Get a locker on campus. Drop any classes requiring texts weighing more than three pounds. Raise an orphaned pack mule to carry your load. But please, please remove this dark plague from our shining campus. Unite against the rolly backpack!
Lighting it on fire! Listen, I love lighting things on fire, explosions, experiments, WRITING POETRY, etc but when there are so many youtube videos and facebook groups showing hate, then I need to make up for it ^_^.
ODE TO THE ROLLY BACKPACK
(to Row Row Row your Boat)
Roll, Roll, roll your bag
Loudly down the hall,
People kick it from behind,
You’ll try not to fall.
Roll, Roll, Roll your bag
and sing a Hogwarts song!
Catching the bag in the door
Isn’t a large price at all
(normal voice) BECAUSE THEY’RE AWESOME!!!!!!
Rolly back packs are worth it, I think. If you need something to do, google them and witness my discovery. Please also read the Urban Dictionary definition of a “Rolley Bagger”
1)You wake up in the night because you thought your dream was boring
and want to change it
2)you think dreaming about writing a blog on Platelets is awesome
3)You love crazy hats
4) You love mustaches and trench coats
5) You are over 14 and still own your stuffed animals
6) Your dream is to find someone who will play pretend
7) You plan to watch Harry Potter 7 dressed as Harry Potter
8) You think school is most fun event of everyday
9) You do not know what Akon’s music sounds like
10) You find pride in nerdy remarks
11) You find it slightly offensive if someone asks you if you had
dressed fancy for a reason when you are at school
12) You are on a quest to find a backpack with an attached dinosaur hood
13)You plan on tying a broomstick to your bike to look like you are
flying on a broomstick
14)Writing this list to cure boredom
15)Want to grow vines on your house
16)Want to turn your shed into a laboratory
18) Are bored by football, hockey, soccer, basketball, etc
19) Could live off Chinese food
20) Are afraid you are going to skip a number when numbering something
21) Fret over grammatical errors in the English teachers’ talking
22) Blog instead of listening to lessons
23) Think about what color wings you’d have if you had them
24) Sing in Zeller’s parking lot
25) When your first thought on a foggy day is that it’s a perfect day
to walk around in a cape
26) Determine who would die in what order if there was a zombie
27) plot a survival plan for the zombie apocalypse
28)Think hobos will eat you if you go downtown alone
29) You chase squirrels and seagulls
30) You avoid answering text messages if you own a cell phone
31) You google ‘fractals’ on your own time
32) You enjoy falling over on purpose
33) Wished your ears were pointy
34) Do not understand how to have a conversation and are determined to
35) Wished you owned a fuzzy animal unitard that you would wear
running around a forest as a disguise
36)trees are your bros, or are out to kill you
37) Meow at stray cats
38) You do not copy this list as things you do (unless it’s a
39) You don’t get bored with writing these points by this point
40) Want a house with a turret, trap doors, ropes out windows, secret
passage ways, etc.
41) Your hobby is day dreaming
42) You have your own way of writing the alphabet in symbols
43) Are almost convinced you are from another reality
44) Talk to yourself
45) Have conversations with yourself
46) Fall in love with the word oft after hearing it
47) Suggest comparing something to a squid in an English essay that
must be handed in
48) Actually do compare something to a squid in the English essay you
are handing in
49) Live under a rock
50) Literally live under a rock
51) Think being polite and nice is cool
52) Do not get most movie references
53) Forget who you are sometimes
54) You have figured out how to do upside down jumping jacks
55) Realize there is mo such thing as over exaggeration (please ask me
about this if you are confused)
56) Call leather fedoras Indiana jones hats
57) Dont try too hard to be cool, whatever your definition of cool may
58) Actually say odomodopias instead of their sounds
59) You lay down on the floor of the shoe store and play on your iPod
60) You get more work done out of school
61) You get excited about finding a lost sock
62) You fall asleep during lunch, not class
63) Sleeping in the car
64) Still are using this to cure boredom
65) Want to call friends but hate doing it,therefore never end up
66) Walk around the mall with temporary tattoos all over your face
67) Still get your face painted at festivals
68) You cAn’t have a conversation with your best friend
69) Using headphones as a ponytail elastic
70) When your parents take away your library card as a punishment
71) Dream in cartoons
72) Spend a whole period discussing dreams
73) Thoroughly Discuss the rules of the Internet
74) Re-name your recycle bin ‘the shadow realm’
75)you Do not understand obsessive fans
76) Enjoy watching the tech guys dance better than the actual
77) When you want the tech guys autograph more than the actors
78) You sing while dissecting something
79) You found dissection intriguing
80) You are considering bring a dictionary around with you for the
sole purpose to study it to increasing your vocabulary
81) you leave conversations saying ‘anon’
82) Poetry, in your opinion, was the best part of English classes
83) ghostbusters is on your iPod
84) you drink more than two coffees a day
85) you talk with hand gestures
86) you make up sounds to go with your symbol letters
87) You like sitting in trees
88) you plan to own a white van with a disguise closet in the back
89) you repeat yourself without realizing. You repeat yourself without
90) you want to meet your friend’s old gr 8 teacher
91) you never realized you had a speech impediment til someone pointed
92) you spend endless time in Wendy’s while blogging or doing homework
93) you find physics refreshing
94) you realize how silly the style of bun on top of your head or your
hair teased is/or how the low pant crazy is dum
95) your comeback is that you’ll send your crazy friends on them to
eat their brain mentally
96) you compare a sport move to jumping off a swing
97)you wear a star trek tie to a fancy Christmas party
98) you repeat yourself without realizing
99) you say ” that’s what she said” to something you said.
100) you say “nobody expects the Spanish inquisition” whenever someone
( including you) says ” I didn’t expect that.”
101) you can’t count.